Length of service 4 years.

His tour of duty began on Oct 30, 1967

Casualty was on Feb 02, 1968




Body was recovered

Panel 36E - - Line 82



HUBERT PRICE JR was born on March 5, 1946 and joined the Armed Forces while in STIGLER, OK.

He served as a 57H20 in the Army. In 4 years of service, he attained the rank of SP4/E4.

On February 2, 1968, at the age of 21, HUBERT PRICE JR perished in the service of our country in South Vietnam, Gia Dinh.

You can find HUBERT PRICE JR honored on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Panel 36E, Row 82.




From: Andrew Ansenberger []
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:38 AM
To: 'Joe Wyatt'
Subject: RE: Hubert Price


Hello Joe,


It was a very moving letter that you sent me this morning.  Please see the attached e-mail that I received years ago from James Brady,, a medic that talked to Hubert before he died.  I wish I could recall more that happened that night but I canít.  It was just too long ago.  I was with another sergeant that packed Hubertís personal effects in a crate to send home  a few days later.  Another fellow, Sam Burrows,, may be able to give you some more information. He was the sergeant in charge of the office duties and handled most of the paperwork of the day.  I have attached a copy of a letter he sent me too.

I have had a good life and am now retired.  If and when I receive any more information from anyone about Hubert, I will send it to you.



Andrew Ansenberger

244 Orchard Dr

Wood Dale, IL  60191



From: Joe Wyatt []
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:24 AM
Subject: Hubert Price

Andrew R. Ansenberger, I would like to also thank you for finally closing the death of my cousin for us.  I have tried to find out just what happen to him all my life.  Your comments posted has helped me understand what became of him in his first and last three months in Vietnam.  I have attached the email I sent to David, through his post and your comments I now have a ending to what became of Hubert Price Jr. 

Next time I go to Sulphur I will try and come up with a photo of him so we can get it posted.


----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Joe Wyatt <>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:12:58 AM
Subject: Hubert Price

David, I have looked at my cousins name many times on the wall and on the net.  I see that you have made a post to his page on "The Wall".  Do not think that he is forgotten fore he is not.  I also share with you that I think of him often.  I would like to let you know that he came from a very poor family in Sulphur Ok.  I do not think that any of his brothers or sisters can or use a computer.  His mother and father are gone to be with him.  

I have looked many times to try and see what happen to him, no one at home was sure what happen to him, some say that he was killed by friendly fire, your comments were the first I have seen that say what may haven happen to him.   

Kenneth his younger brother (also Army) was sent to Korea after his death, my father was in Vietnam while I was there, mom sent us both a letter stating she was going to file a protest, as my dad had over 16 years in the USAF you know what his comments were to her, I also said to let it go, her last comments to me in a letter was "If either of you get killed its your fault"  to this day I steal do not feel that I did enough.


I would like to thank you for your service, as I know how it felt when we returned.  Like you and "Junie" (that's what we called him as Hubert was also his fathers first name also) I enlisted in the Navy in 1968 and served two tours in Vietnam.


When people come up to me now and tell me welcome home and think me, it brings triers to my eyes.  The first time that some one came up to me a few years ago and took my hand and thanked me I started crying.  I  was with my son who is now also in the Navy, he did not know what to do, latter I tried to explain to hem how we were treated when we returned, I do not think the younger generation understand us.

We were proud and just wished to follow in our fathers footsteps as they did in the past wars. I hope life has been good to you and again thanks. 

Joe C Wyatt

Mount Pleasant, Texas


From: James Brady []
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 12:36 PM
Subject: Hubert Price


I was a medic at Camp Red Ball.  I had just arrived there a very few days before the Tet Offensive began.  There were several American soldiers wounded at Camp Red Ball.  There was only one soldier I am aware of that was killed instantly and that was Hubert Price.  The person I remember had dark blond hair and wore glasses.  The reason I remember this so well is that a very, very short time before he was killed, we talked very briefly.  He apparently had some kind of premonition, because he said he was not going to make it and he was very visibly shaken.  We talked for a few minutes and he sort of calmed down a little bit.  But as you know, I think we were all pretty shaken from the events that had happened earlier in the day. Then he went back to the area where he probably was assigned to wait out the offensive.  It doesn't seem like it was more than 15 minutes later before we were hit.  Price wasn't one of the first brought we saw that evening I don't think, but he was the only one who had apparently died instantly.  You can only imagine the feeling that came over me when I saw his face and remembered what he had said just moments earlier.   


I really don't remember how many Americans were wounded at Camp Red Ball during this time.  I know we had Med Evac choppers in at least 3 different times.  I know there was at least one who had some very serious chest wounds that got wounded during the night and there was another who had both legs very severely wounded.  The other wounded were not quite as horrific.  If you recall the first wounded were the nearby villagers who had been wounded in the early morning hours when the Offensive began.  The first casualty I saw was a Vietnamese girl maybe 4 or 5 years old who had been wounded in the stomach hours earlier.  Her mother carried her in to Camp Red Ball late in the afternoon/evening of the first day. She only lived a couple minutes, because she had already bled to death.  As I recall there were other villagers who were evacuated and there were a couple other Vietnamese casualties carried in who were taken away on the first evacuation helicopter.


I don't know if you recall or not, but the building next to the shower that housed the little PX later had a little first aid station and a barber shop.  The aid station then moved across the compound to a building close to the Club.  I vaguely remember that move.  I was reassigned to MACV headquarters to work in the dispensary to be the senior medic replacing a guy in my outfit who returned home. 


I shared a tent with 2 other medics who arrived when I did and with 3 guys who worked off Camp Red Ball.  I remember on guys name was Eller from North Carolina, one was Mack from Ohio, I think and the other I don't remember but he was from Missouri.  I don't know if these guys were part of your unit or not.  I am thinking they may not have been.  I seem to recall a majority of the guys at Camp Red Ball were there to process the personal belongings of those who were killed.


I just want to say that your website along with the photos you have provided bring back a lot of vivid memories.  The one picture I don't see and don't regret not seeing is the half barrels that were set on fire with diesel fuel to burn the human waste.